Finally, I have decided to give a brief update on where are we standing with migration of SWT from GTK+ 2.0 to GTK+ 3.0. The reason why I didn’t do “status report” earlier is pretty simple – huge amount of work and lack of time.
Why status starting from August ? August was the month when all the “bug-fixing-action” started. Before that, there was some bug fixes from my side as well, but August appeared to be a starting point of major chunk of SWT bugs being fixed.
What was the numbers when I’ve started?
approximately 180 errors/warnings that needed to be fixed before we can build SWT with GTK+ 3.0
1. approximately 60 of them were deprecations within GTK+ 2.0 library
1.1. approximately 30 of them required Cairo graphics library implementation to substitute deprecated methods
1.2. approximately 30 of them required substitution with new API methods
2. approximately 120 of them were deprecations that can be tested only after GTK+ 3 is actually built
ALL of them needed to be version guarded to ensure backward-compatibility
Deadline: In August nobody was sure how much work will be done, but there was a hope that at least some of the errors/warnings will be resolved before January 2013.
What was my workflow (same workflow persists now) ?
1. I have opened public GIT repo to store all my bug-fixes
2, I have created solution for every method that is deprecated.
3. For every error/warning, I have opened separate bug and gave link to my patch in the description of the bug. All bugs are blocked here
3.Patches were reviewed by Eclipse commiters and pushed to Eclipse master branch.
Now you can say:
“ALL THIS IS BORING, GIVE ME SOME NUMBERS! WHERE SWT STANDS NOW?!”
Today is October 16 2012.
In 2,5 months of hard work we have:
- 60 errors/warnings remaining ( 120 errors/warnings resolved)
– Red Hat Eclipse Team Leader Alexander Kurtakov became SWT commiter
– I got my RHCSA Certificate (off topic but I am still very excited about that fact )
Did anyone expect such decline of errors/warnings in such short period?
I don’t think so!
What’s next ? We are hoping to resolve ALL the issues and build against GTK+ 3 by the middle of December (pretty good hugh ?)
More detailed SWT October statuses can be found here